Henry asked the members of the 78-L list: Hi I just got some Durium childrens records. They look like the 10 inch ones but these are only 4 inches in size. They are really cute . One is titled Durium Mother Goose pt 1 Old King Cole by Frank Luther. #5072312 on the back is pictured Lil Bo Peep, Jack and Jill, Old King Cole himself :) anyone know what dates these were made?Thanks Henry
The Durium Children records turn up now and then and record collectors like it because these 4 inch ( = 10 cm ) records is childlike too. They have the same size as the known DURIUM JUNIOR, but they are not labeled as that.
When I overlook all Durium issues worldwide there have been some releases special made for children.
1. The DURIUM MOTHER GOOSE. Singer Frank Luther.
This series of six 4-inch ( = 10 cm) records was released early 1932 in the US. They has been exported to Europe and released ca. 1933 with a different label credited as DURIUM MOTHER GOOSE by UNCLE TOM.
Discographical information ( scroll down)
2. DURIUM FOR THE YOUNG FOLKS. Singer Harry Hemsley
This series of six 4 inch ( = 10 cm) records was released in 1932. It is of some interest that, although the labels differ, the reverse seem to be copies of the US ones.
As the discographical information of this set is not yet online I'll post it below:
By HARRY HEMSLEY: Harry Hemsley vo - childlike vo with Novelty Accompany
Recorded London, c 1932
- E 5018 C Jack and Jill / Old King Cole / Girls and Boys come out to play - HH vo DURIUM FOR THE YOUNG FOLKS Part 1 5018
- E-5019 A C Ride A Cock Horse / Little Bo-Peep / Hey Diddle Diddle - HH vo DURIUM FOR THE YOUNG FOLKS Part 4 5019
- E-5020 B C Where are You Going To My Pretty Maid / Old Mother Hubbard / Pussy Cat - HH vo URIUM FOR THE YOUNG FOLKS Part 5 5020
- E-5021 A Little Miss Muffet / Ding Dong Bell / Tom, Tom the Piper's Son - HH vo DURIUM FOR THE YOUNG FOLKS Part II (sic) 5021
- E-5022 B Sing a Song of Sixpence / Pat a Cake - HH vo DURIUM FOR THE YOUNG FOLKS Part 3 5022
- E-5023 A Here We Go Gathering Nuts & May/ Dickory Dock / Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star - HH vo URIUM FOR THE YOUNG FOLKS Part 6 5023
These are round 4" records sold in two illustrated envelopes. Each set of three costing 6d. On the reverse of each record pictures to illustrate the songs. // Mind that there exist two records with the matrix E 5023.
A promotion record for this series exist. The spoken text on that record is:
Have you enjoyed this? Well, why not hear some more? You can obtain a set of three of these records in a picture-book from your newsagent or bookstall. There are six or more different nurseryrhymes in each book. Price only sixpence. Also don’t forget forget to order your Durium self-changing dance-record each week from the same place, price one shilling. It plays on any gramophone with any needle
There are stil a lot questions about the Frank Luther, Uncle Tom, Uncle Ajax and Harry Hemsley children records. Due to the fact that only few collectors ( maybe none ) have all three releases in their collection it is very difficult to compare the small records and the voices of these two or three (?) persons.
3. Tomtegubbarna spela och sjunga för de unga
A series of three little records for the Swedish market. The title means Santa Claus plays and sings for the young ones.
The discographical information:
“Tomtegubbarna”: "Santa Claus" vo. Rest unknown.
Recorded London, c Nov. 1932
- E-5043-A Nu är det jul igen - vo DURIUM JUNIOR 5043
- E-5044-A Skära, skära havre - vo DURIUM JUNIOR 5044
- E-5046-A Morsgrisár ä‘ vi allihopa - vo DURIUM JUNIOR 5046
The discographical information of these children records:
THE “TALKIE” CIGARETTE CARDS: C.L.T. Farrar vo ? speech (on THE CHILDREN’S HOUR only) Recorded London, 1933- 1934
- THE CHILDREN’S HOUR Nº 1 - UNCLE AJAX ( 19 )
- THE CHILDREN’S HOUR Nº 2 - UNCLE AJAX ( 18 )
- THE CHILDREN’S HOUR Nº 6 - UNCLE AJAX ( 14 )
5121-A THE CHILDREN’S HOUR Nº 5 - UNCLE AJAX ( 15 )
5127-A THE CHILDREN’S HOUR Nº 3 - UNCLE AJAX ( 17 )
5137-A THE CHILDREN’S HOUR Nº 4 - UNCLE AJAX ( 16 )
Another series of 3-inch records ( = 7,3 cm) released as an extra by “Force”, Sunny Jim’s famous multi wheat flakes food contains some children songs.
There are some more incidental advertisement records that are fix its eyes on children.There have been a series of fables made for the Italian market released on Durium in the second part of the 1930s and it seems that these fables were reissued in Italy on LPs in the 1950s.
A special website dedicated to Children records is Kiddies Records Enjoy it.
Enjoy my daily Keepswinging weblog with a lot interesting subjects on record collecting and my passion for jazz
If you want to be informed about all updates of this blog please use RSS Site Feed (information: side bar - contact)